Tuesday 7 August 2012

The Pathos of No Internet Connection.

I've always maintained that I find the hippie lifestyle to be a superior form of living. The hippies were free from the clutches of consumerism and hence, free from the tyranny of internet service providers. PTCL no longer controls just our phone lines, it controls our entire lives. PTCL can, by not providing us with internet access, halt our lives. I express everything I learn through Tweets and Blog posts so the days I am unable to do so, feel completely unproductive.

PTCL decided to attack my lack of hobbies by not providing me with internet access. Aggravated by this affront onto my lifestyle, I made daily phone calls to their office and shouted at random phone operators. No mater what I said or which operator I spoke to, their response was consistent: 'We are very apologetic and have forwarded your complaint, the problems you are facing will be resolved within 24 working hours.' If the lack of internet access was not enough to enrage me, the consistency of their reply definitely was. 72 hours passed since my first complaint and I resorted to making statements such as 'Do you think I'm crazy?' and 'How are you even an internet company if you can't provide internet?' only to receive the same reply: 'We are very apologetic and have forwarded your complaint, the problems you are facing will be resolved within 24 working hours.'

After four long internet-less days, I decided to go to the PTCL office myself and communicated my problems to the manager. You can imagine my anger when he responded with the very same statement: 'We are very apologetic and have forwarded your complaint, the problems you are facing will be resolved within 24 working hours.' I looked at the manager with disgust, I felt nothing but hatred for the man and shouted out 'How many days of my life will you eat away, you are like a leech.' This statement managed to capture the attention of everyone in the office and resulted in my internet connection being repaired that very evening.

I woke up the next morning feeling triumphant about yesterday's victory and decided to tweet about it. I opened my laptop, opened a browser and my jaw dropped when I read the line 'This page cannot be loaded.' PTCL had done it again.

I wish I were a hippie.

3 comments: