Saturday 2 June 2012

My Big Fabulous Gay Life

I feel like the words 'gay,' 'fabulous,' and 'pink' are often used as synonyms. When you are a homosexual, albeit in a country like Pakistan, the people who are most likely to accept you are almost unwilling to see you as anyone beyond the gay stereotype. You have to listen to Beyonce, you have to know how to dance your ass off and you have to be a fashioniesta.I don't mean to promote these stereotypes but I do feel as though many of these things come naturally to many of us, what does not come naturally however, is the supposed gay lifestyle.

We all don't get the opportunity to shake our bootylicious booties at gay bars, we can't all travel the world, not all of us enjoy sexual promiscuity (I'm not talking about myself here obviously) and we definitely can't all have completely hairless bodies at all times of the year. It seems not only pointless but also impossible to live that stereotypical lifestyle but I can't help but find my life empty without a touch of pink.

I exert a great amount of conscious effort to be as gay as possible. I gave a lap dance to a couple of my male heterosexual friends one night and it wasn't because I found it funny, or I just felt like it. I did it because I wanted to feel gay. I wanted to live My Big Fabulous Gay Life if only just for that one night. I know full well that this desire may just be the result of the way we're depicted in the media but I can't help but want to be as gay as Justin Beiber's hair (I don't even know what that means other than I can't think straight). I know I did not choose to be gay at birth but I feel as though I'm choosing to be super gay today.

Gay at birth, fabulous by choice.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you wrote this. I was just thinking about this earlier.

    ReplyDelete