Saturday 12 May 2012

Destiny?

The description of your path was carved in stone the day you were born. You will be surprised to know how elaborate and accurate this description actually is. Some call it 'destiny' or 'the will of God,' but God didn't carve this description. The people around you did. Your name, your clothes and your cradle had all been picked out long before you were snatched out from your mother's womb.

Soon after, you were brainwashed with teachings of 'propriety' and 'mannerism'. You still hold a knife in your right hand and a fork in your left. Your parents chose for you a school and you were taught 'responsibility' and you still fulfill all of your supposed 'responsibilities.' You do your homework, you do your chores and you try your very best to 'make your parents proud' and what makes your parents proud was written in the description that they and the rest of society carved for you at birth.

I'm nineteen, but I don't feel as though I've really made many choices. I fight for what I believe is right but I rarely win my battles. No matter how many tears I shed, no matter how much I argue and no matter how much I rebel, I cannot change what has been carved on the stone. I loose my battles because I am an empty piece paper and, despite the rules of  rock-paper-scissors, a thin sheet of paper stands no chance against a hard stone.

I realize now that what I want isn't going to change what I get, but that doesn't stop me from fighting. I refuse to allow the carvings define my life knowing full well that in the end, they probably will.

No comments:

Post a Comment